A Door to the Mists--REDUX Demo
A downloadable game for Windows and Linux
"Adventure is My Path"
Traversal, Puzzles, and Combat in a Heroic-Fantasy Setting
Version 0.8.5 Includes even more updates!
Too long, didn't watch:
- A reworked approach to carriable objects.
- No more dodgy physics!
- A slightly more-intuitive method of placing objects: they're now placed more or less where the player points.
- Revision of the tutorial/prologue traversal.
- This should, hopefully, be a little more welcoming to new players!
- Polish regarding the translation minigame
- A reworking of the player's first encounters with it
- Touch-ups to the UI
- Cross distances more quickly, and jump further when desired!
- Tutorial availability.
- Tutorials should now be harder to accidentally miss.
- All tutorial lessons are now available via a button on the in-game menu.
- Updated combat audio- and visual- elements.
- Plus various less-salient changes!
Updates included in the original version of the Redux Demo:
- Reworked combat!
- An updated approach to controlling the action
- Reworked AI
- More-detailed accessibility/difficulty options
- Improved traversal
- Both mechanically and in the layout of the first two levels
- Performance improvements
- More things to see and find in the third level
An adventurer with a yearning to explore the inaccessible, misty world of magic hears a tale of a door that opens onto that world, located in a lost city. She embarks on a journey through desolate and dangerous places to discover this city and its door, and enter the mist-world.
- Traversal and exploration, with universal mantling
- Puzzle-solving, both in-level and via minigame puzzles
- Combat, sparse and one-on-one
(All found in the options menu)
- You could even, theoretically, play the game with just a keyboard. I really don't recommend it, but you could do it.
- Various difficulty settings, for both minigame-puzzles and combat
- Includes a mode in which combat is automated
- Text-speed controls
- Field-of-view slider
- And a variety of other such options!
- Core i7-5500U 4-Core CPU @ 2.40GHz
- 8GB of RAM
- GeForce 840M, with 2GB VRAM
- 64-bit OS
The above is based on my own machine; the game may work on less-powerful devices, but it may not, too.
- Some keyboards don't respond well to pressing "space" (the default "jump" key) while holding one of the WASD keys (the default "movement" keys). If your keyboard is like this, try the "KeyboardAndMouse_MouseJump" keybinding profile (from the options menu).
- This profile moves "jump" to the right mouse-button (and "examine" to "space"), thus hopefully allowing jumping while pressing a movement key!
- Alternatively, just rebind the keys to something that works for you!
- If you want a frame-rate meter, just press "f".
- (Presuming that you haven't bound another key over that.)
- 4K resolutions and UI-scaling are not currently officially supported. The game itself should work, but certain text-boxes (e.g. in cutscenes) may be misplaced.
- There's a known security vulnerability in the save and config files. Your own saves and config-files should be fine--just don't take such files from others!
|Updated||29 days ago|
|Tags||Action-Adventure, Exploration, Fantasy, jumping, Magic, Swords|
|Average session||About a half-hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Gamepad (any)|
|Accessibility||Configurable controls, Interactive tutorial|
|Links||Twitter, Blog, Homepage|
Simply download the archive and unzip it to the location of your choice!
Note that the game stores save- and config- files in your user-data folder, in a sub-folder named "ADoorToTheMists". The location of this varies by OS.
Examples of user-data locations:
- Ubuntu Linux: ~/.local/share/ADoorToTheMists
- Windows 8: Documents and Settings/<user-name>/AppData/Local/ADoorToTheMists
- Redux Demo UPDATED!29 days ago
- Fixing a Crash52 days ago
- Redux Demo Released!53 days ago
- A Door to the Mists demo: Now working under Windows!Sep 04, 2019
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.